Hello! I am Michelle Elder and I am running for my current seat on the Huntington Woods City Commission in 2019.
On January 16, 2019, I was appointed City Commissioner to fill a vacancy. I appreciate and am honored for this opportunity to serve the people of Huntington Woods and hope to continue my public service for a full four-year term.
I have a lot in common with many of you. I am a working mom. Our daughter attends Burton Elementary (Go Bluejays!). In my spare time, I enjoy fitness, the idea of napping, and chauffeuring our daughter to her extra-curricular activities. My husband, Andy, grew up in Huntington Woods where his parents and sister and her family still live. Andy persuaded me to raise our family here. After we moved in, I fell in love with this city and then recruited my parents to move here, too. I love our city and truly have vested interest in its success.
I currently work in government affairs for an automotive supplier. Prior to this role, I served as an economic developer for the State of Michigan for seven years. I worked with businesses and communities across our state to help retain and create new jobs for Michiganders and promote Michigan as a great place to live, work, and play. With over 15 years of combined experience from public and private sectors, I hope to continue contributing these skills towards the good of our community.
My goals as City Commissioner are to serve as a voice for the residents of Huntington Woods, act responsibly and with transparency as a steward of public tax dollars, and to provide leadership to maintain city services and programs for the needs of the community today, while also planning for our city’s future. My policy priorities include to:
Qualifications & Awards:
- Ensure we maintain and enhance services and programs for our residents
- Facilitate and encourage policies that will result in more housing options for families and seniors, especially policies that enable seniors to age in place
- Uphold the values of diversity and inclusion in our community
- Degrees from the University of Michigan: Architecture (B.S.), Urban & Regional Planning (Masters), & Real Estate Development (Master Certificate)
- Leadership Detroit, Class of XXXIV (2012)
- Oakland County’s Elite 40 Under 40 (2016) .
- Employee awards for decision making and innovation/collaboration (2014 & 2018).